Help us build our new accessible playground!
Be part of our exciting new campaign ‘The Big Play Appeal’ to build a brand new, fully accessible and multi-functional playground at Challengers Guildford Playcentre in Stoke Park.
After providing more than 25 years of fun and accessible play to thousands of children at Challengers, our much-loved Guildford playground was sadly removed as it had fallen into disrepair. But all good things must come to an end, and we now have the opportunity to build a bigger, better playground for the next generation of disabled children and young people, and the wider community.
Our new playground will cost £250,000 to build and maintain, so we need you to join us on our fundraising journey and help us to fund this amazing space which everyone can enjoy.
A playground for the whole community
With a design inspired by the beautiful Surrey Hills, our new playground will bring the very best of Surrey to our little corner of Guildford!
The new playground will be a versatile and diverse space with something for everyone, including:
- A Brooklands-inspired circuit for thrill-seekers to run and race around.
- Sloping green hills which children can climb, roll and slide down to their heart’s content.
- Our tribute to the River Wey will run through the playground, providing children with a cool, calm place to splash about.
- A large open sandpit inspired by the golden sand at Frensham Ponds, providing endless fun and games.
Every detail has been designed with purpose following extensive observation on how children prefer to play, the equipment they use, and thorough consultation with parents. The playground will feature specialist equipment to facilitate children with differing needs, including a wheelchair-accessible carousel, multiple seating options for swings, and sensory areas. It will also provide the opportunity to help develop children’s motor skills – positively impacting on their everyday life.
When not in use at Challengers, we plan to open our new playground on our Family Fund Days for local families to enjoy together. It will be a space where disabled and non-disabled children can come together, to make friends and learn from each other, without limitations.
81% of Challengers parents have told us that this new playground will help them feel included and part of the community.
“I believe it’s important for children with additional needs to play alongside their non-disabled peers, otherwise neither will learn about one another and how rewarding accepting differences can be...”
How can I help?
To reach our target of £250,000 and start the playground build, we need the support of our community to donate, fundraise and spread awareness of our Big Play Appeal.
You can help us raise the money we need by:
- Donating to our Crowdfunder appeal.
- Taking on a fundraising challenge of your own.
- Joining in with our 24-hour playathon – email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Sharing the appeal far and wide!
- Leaving a positive comment on our Your Fund Surrey project application – commenting closes on Sunday 31st July!
We are so grateful for anything you can do to support our appeal. You can make a huge difference to local children, giving them a place where everyone can have fun and play.