Moving from
Play to Youth

While the transition from Play to Youth is an exciting prospect for many young people, we understand that growing up can bring on a multitude of new emotions – especially for children who like having a routine and can find change difficult.

At our Play schemes we support children aged 4 – 12, and at Youth schemes we support young people aged 13 – 18. The reason for this is to ensure that our schemes offer age-appropriate activities that children and young people will enjoy. Typically Play schemes are more play and activity based, whereas Youth schemes offer more trips out which appeal to teenagers.

We advise that you contact Play scheme Leaders ahead of your child’s 13th birthday so that you can discuss the best approach to support a happy transition to the next age group. Once your child reaches their 13th birthday, they will be able to continue at their Play scheme until the end of that term, however after this our booking system will no longer allow you to book a place at Play schemes.

You will also need to contact our Play and Leisure team to arrange a First visit at your chosen Youth scheme before you can attend sessions there.

Moving on from Challengers

At Challengers we support young people up to the age of 18.

Unfortunately Challengers no longer runs Young Adult services, however there are many local organisations where your young person can continue their journey to adulthood.

What happens when my child turns 18?

We understand that turning 18 is a big deal, and moving on from Challengers may seem daunting (we are always very sad to say goodbye to our young people too!), but it’s the start of a new adventure.

As with the transition from Play to Youth, we recommend that you contact the Leader of your Youth scheme in advance of your child’s 18th birthday so that you can plan the approach together. Some young people might want to celebrate their last day – a bit like a ‘graduation’ of sorts – whereas others prefer something more low-key.

Places to go

Here are some great options in Surrey, Hampshire, West Sussex and the London Boroughs for disabled young adults, including:

Independent housing options

As young people approach their 18th or 19th birthday, it’s normal to start thinking options for them to live more independently. Here are some local options that specialise in independent housing for young adults.

Transition support

Financial support from your Local Authority

Your Local Authority should be able to provide information and support, in particular how to claim Personal Independence Payments or Direct Payments (formerly known as Disability Living Allowance) for young people aged over 16. It’s a payment that helps with the extra costs of being disabled or having a long-term health condition, and it isn’t means-tested.

You can help to remove the barriers to play today!